Friday, January 18, 2008

What, your finger is more powerful than mine?

So a funny thing happened when I got to work today. There are 2 elevators. The one on the right only goes up, and the one on the left goes up and down. So sometimes you push the up button and the system thinks it has to wait for the right elevator, but the little red light above the elevators says that the left one is on the 1st floor. So you push the down button and the left elevator opens. You with me so far?

So today I walk into the lobby, and right behind me is this lady. I push the up button and nothing happens, but the left elevator sign says it's on the 1st floor. So I push the down button. It does not light up, and the elevator remains closed. I say hmm, that's weird, push the button a few more times to no avail, and so figure it must be broken or being worked on or something, and commence waiting for the other one. Well this other woman had come up and stood right in front of the elevator on the left, like with her nose 6 inches from the door. So she looked confused, backed up a little, and then said well that's weird, it says it's on this floor. We stood there a couple seconds, and she then proceeded to start pushing the down button. I'm standing there thinking you've got to be kidding me. You just saw me push that button several times and nothing happened, what you think it'll magically open when you push the botton? Because I'm not versed in the art of proper button pushing? Well, of course, she pushes the down button several times and nothing happens. So most people would then assume as I did that the thing is broken and just be happy waiting another 5 seconds for the other elevator. Not this woman. She proceeded to stick her fingers in the little crack and try to manually open the elevator door. Who are you, Data? You think that you can pry the door open with your little fingers, and then the elevator will say oh yeah, I'm supposed to open when people push that button and then it's business as usual?

So the other one comes, we get on it, I push my floor and she just stands there. Now I know that this woman does not work on the same floor as I do as I've seen her around before, so I'm standing there thinking is she going to push the button for her floor? Or at least tell me which floor she needs so I can push the botton? I should have just let her ride up to the 8th floor, but I was nice and when it was about at 2, asked her which floor to which she responded 3 and I got it hit just barely in time for us to get there. She got off and I just shook my head. Some people.

Tip o' the day: Always make sure your heater is on before you leave work, so your office isn't like 50 degrees when you get there the next day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the right elevator only goes up, how does it ever get back down...?

Sara said...

Ok, you got me there. The elevator does go down, just not from the first floor.....so there's another annoyance. If you want to go to the basement, and you're on the 8th floor, you have to hope the left elevator opens. If not, you have to ride to the first floor, get off the elevator, push the down button, and then get on the other elevator.