Thursday, January 10, 2008

The end is in sight!



So I've been working on this quilt off and on for the last year or so, and finally it looks like something now, and the tying party is Friday. Wahoo! I'm pretty excited to slap this sucker on my bed and admire it's greatness every day. In case you were wondering, there are 1,184 pieces of material that I had to cut out and sew together to get it to look like this. First, I cut out all 1,184 pieces (2 different sizes, 2 different materials, making four piles). Then I sewed 592 pieces to the other 592. That is what took the most time, because they are curves and turns out it's really hard to sew curves. Then it was just a matter of sewing 16 pieces together to make a square, 37 squares, sew the squares together and voila! You get this cool design that only looks that way when you put it together, just looking at one square you'd have no idea that it would do what it does. I'll try to post another picture when it's all the way done, but it shouldn't look too much different.



PS Did anyone guess my movie quote of the week (top right corner)? It's kind of obscure I guess, probably the only people who would know what it's from are my siblings and Julie....look for a new one tomorrow!


3 comments:

Dresden Lane said...

Hi Sara-

I didn't know you quilted! I am SO impressed with this quilt. I have been quilting since high school and I am still afraid of triangles, let alone curves! It is SO pretty. Great job! This reminds me that I need to get working on all of my projects from the many, many yards of fabric I purchased in Uganda this summer.

Laura Campbell said...

hm, could anyone really miss that quote :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Elaine