Thursday, May 7, 2009

The look of the panhandler

So you're driving down the street, stop at a light and there on the corner is a panhandler, with his little cardboard sign. What does he look like? I know, I know, you generally try to avoid eye contact and hence don't really look at him, but when he walks behind your car, you know you take a glance in your rearview mirror. So picture in your head for a second what the guy looks like.

So the other day I saw an attractive male panhandler, probably my age or a little older (sad that mid-30s I consider "a little older"). Not hot, I probably wouldn't look twice if I were to see him in the store or movie theater, but in the role of standing by the side of the road holding a cardboard sign I must admit I had to look twice. And then once more. You know, you just don't expect a panhandler to be attractive. I thought it was interesting, anyway.

No comments: